Cleansing twice is a low-effort way to majorly boost your skin’s health.
Cleansing your face sounds like a no-brainer, right? But what if we told you that double cleansing, or using two cleansers with unique formulations and purposes, can boost your entire skincare routine’s effectiveness? It might sound too easy to be true, but we’ll fill you in on why this skincare hack works.
What is Double Cleansing?
Double cleansing is a two-step method that involves cleansing your face twice, first with an oil-based cleanser and then with a water-based cleanser.
Step 1: Cleanse with an oil-based cleanser.
Step 2: Cleanse with a water-based cleanser.
The purpose of Step 1, or the oil-based cleanser, is to thoroughly break down all traces of dirt, excess oils, makeup, sunscreen, and other products so that your skin is prepped for Step 2, which is when you’ll focus on cleansing more deeply into the pores.
If you have oily or acne-prone skin, you may be scoffing at using an oil-based cleanser. You might think this would make your skin more oily, but in actuality, adding the appropriate type of cleansing oil can help harmonize your skin’s oil-to-water balance.
Skin Pro Tip: Always look for a cleansing oil that is non-comedogenic (a.k.a, won’t clog pores) and anti-inflammatory. (Keep reading for our favorite one!)
Next, Step 2, the water-based cleanser, can thoroughly cleanse and nourish the skin to give you a perfectly smooth and clean surface to apply your skincare products. Providing your skincare products with a prepped base will help them penetrate more deeply and, ultimately, be more effective.
Double Cleansing Tips:
- Only double cleanse at night or when you have excess product to remove (like makeup or SPF). In the morning, pick your most gentle cleanser and stick with cleansing one time. Being too aggressive with cleansing can lead to irritation and damage to the skin barrier. No, thank you!
- Since everyone’s skin is different, it’s essential to be strategic in your cleanser choices to tailor your skincare routine to your skin goals. While most skin types can choose the same initial oil-based cleanser, it’s crucial to consider your unique skin type when selecting cleanser #2.
What products should I use to double cleanse?
Step 1: Oil-Based Cleanser
Regarding Step 1, using an oil-based cleanser, I have one absolute favorite for all skin types: ISDIN Essential Cleansing Oil.
This star cleansing oil contains:
- Mediterranean Extra Virgin Olive Oil - moisturizes skin by reducing water loss, infuses antioxidant protection, and protects against premature aging
- Sunflower Oil - contains omegas 6 and 9, which strengthen the skin’s moisture barrier and lock in hydration
- Clary Sage - soothes skin and promotes a more even skin tone
I love that ISDIN created this oil-to-milk cleanser to gently cleanse, hydrate, and illuminate. I especially love the moisture-balancing properties that this cleanser has – this makes it an excellent choice for virtually everyone.
To use, dispense a few pumps of cleansing oil on dry hands and massage the oil into your skin to break down any products. Next, add some water to your fingertips and continue to gently massage to create an emollient. Then, rinse the cleansing oil away with warm water and grab your second cleanser!
Step 2: Water-Based Cleanser
For Step 2, you want to choose a water-based cleanser suitable for your skin type and concerns.
If you have Normal - Dry Skin and Mature Skin:
If you have normal, dry, combination/dry, or mature skin, I recommend Revision Gentle Foaming Cleanser. This soothing cleanser is appropriate for most skin types, especially for dry or mature skin, and leaves skin feeling velvety smooth.
This versatile cleanser contains ingredients like:
Skin Pro Tip: If your skin is extremely oily or acne-prone, try adding an acid-based toner like the GLOWBIOTICS Probiotic Triple Action Clarifying Pads as a third step. These medical-grade treatment pads reduce acne and prevent future breakouts.
The Verdict On Double Cleansing
If you’ve never tried double cleansing, give this part of your routine a little TLC, and watch your skin thank you! You'll be helping to balance your skin’s natural oils, prevent breakouts, hydrate, and set the stage for ultimate product penetration. This all equates to your healthiest skin yet!