What causes lip aging?
Now that we know what causes our lips to age, let's discuss some ways we can prevent it!
1. Wear sunscreen: One of the main causes of lip aging is exposure to the sun. UV rays can damage collagen and elastin, as well as the cell membranes in our lips. This is one of the most important things you can do to prevent premature aging. Make sure to apply a lip balm or lipstick that contains SPF on a daily basis, even if you're not going to be spending time in the sun.
2. Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water helps to keep your skin and lips hydrated from the inside out. Try carrying a reusable water bottle with you so you can sip on water throughout the day. Pro tip: Sprinkle a bit of sea salt in your water to help keep your body absorbing water for optimal hydration.
3. Boost collagen by eating healthy: A healthy diet is important for overall skin health, and that includes your lips! Make sure to eat plenty of collagen-producing foods such as fish, dark green veggies, and citrus fruits. You may need a boost by taking a collagen supplement.
4. Use a hyaluronic lip gloss: A good lip gloss can help to lock in moisture and protect your lips from the elements. Look for one that contains hyaluronic acid and potent antioxidants.
5. Consider a lip treatment: If you're looking for a more dramatic solution, you may want to consider hyaluronic acid dermal fillers. Lip injections are a great way to replace collagen and fat that your lips lose as you age. Additionally, a lip flip can shorten the distance between the nose and upper lip to increase your pout with neurotoxins aka Botox. These treatments can help to plump up your lips and give them back their youthful appearance.
By following these tips, you can help prevent your lips from thinning and aging prematurely. Remember, sunscreen is your best friend when it comes to preventing skin aging!